Friday, October 19, 2012

The Plan.

Lovin' Weebly!

Just had to get that out of my system.

In a nutshell, I'll be using Weebly from now on. For everything. I will be blogging there exclusively starting the first of the year. Between now and then I will be working on saving my blogs to PDF files, some of which will be available for downloading should anyone want them. This blog, probably not, since there isn't really any reference information here, very few links (which are old, if there are!), and nothing anyone would probably need to look back on. The new site will simplify things for me, and save time, in so many ways!

My Cheap'n'Easy Lowcarb Living blog will be available as a PDF file, and I will spend some time between now and the end of the year copying/pasting the recipes to the new blog over there.

My Nissen Fundoplication blog will be made into a PDF file and available for download after Dec. 1st. That will be my 2-year anniversary of the surgery, and I really don't have much more to add anymore. Anything that needs discussing will be addressed in the Nissen Fundoplication group on Facebook.

As for the VitaInVia blog, it is young yet, with not that many posts; I plan to copy/paste each post to the new blog at Weebly.

As for everything else:

I will make/download a backup of my google voice account, and then delete that. Shame, really, since I love my phone number there, and have used it a LOT. But I also have a Skype number, and Skype will do most of the things that GV does for me so it will just be a matter of getting used to using it instead.

I have already deleted all of my uploaded youtube videos; I already have copies of them. I'll keep the account just so I can still access playlists (mostly stuff for my grandson) and subscriptions...at least, unless/until google decides I need a + account to even do that.

Forgot the I use the google reader for my rss feeds. But feed readers are a dime a dozen; soon all of my RSS subscriptions will be taken to another reader too.

All that will be left after the 1st of the year (2013), is my android phone. The contract expires in the spring. And then that will also be gone.

All of this is causing some inconvenience of course. And it seems that most people probably don't want to give up the ease of using one service for everything, the convenience. There aren't many people I don't think that really care if they are forced to join one service just to use another, or that have the privacy concerns that I do. This is a different world, and a different internet than the one I used before there even WAS a world wide web. (Ahhh, the simplicity of gopher, relay chats, ftp, fidonet...!) Then it was about sharing, disseminating information, providing; now it is about profiting, taking, stealing even. And I have to say that I just don't trust it - or those who seek to control it...or me...

Enough of all that, though. Onward to better things - like simplicity :).

No comments:

Post a Comment