Sunday, March 25, 2012

New Computer, The Final Chapter

I'm on the new computer, and running Mint - YAY! I was going to give up and install Ubuntu after my 2nd try, then I ran across this article by the How To Geek (love it, get the newsletters, have for a long time). And that's how I ended up doing it. SO easy!

I was concerned about getting my emails and Firefox profile moved from Nellie to Big Nell (as I've decided to name this new bigger netbook) but I needn't have been.

Ubuntu 11.04 ran Evolution as the email client, and I exported all of my emails, accounts, settings, etc. per the instructions. Thunderbird here on Mint claimed to import everything from other email clients, but just looked blankly at me when I pointed it toward my Evolution files. So I installed Evolution on Big Nell, imported my "backup", and within a couple of minutes my new Evolution looks just like my old one! Couldn't be easier!

For Firefox I used the FEBE add-on. Same thing...used the backup facility, installed it on the new machine, created my new profile and restored the backup right into it.

I also needed to move my documents, music, photos, etc. here but of course that was no problem. I copied them all to my external hard drive, then plugged it into Big Nell and copied them here.

For my job I use an .xls file, which the linux LibreOffice suite handles with ease, and I use Skype, Just installed that and tried it out by calling my sister, all is well there.

So I think I'm ready to go! My husband will be messing around with Nellie now, as soon as I delete all of my stuff off her hard drive (or I might just delete the Ubuntu partition and save myself some time). Hopefully he'll have fun with that.

alllllllllllrighty then - ready, set, go!

No comments:

Post a Comment