Saturday, July 16, 2011

Reading Books

I used to read constantly, several novels a week. I suppose the time I now use on the internet would have been spent reading a book several years ago. I always read light stuff, romances, some light mysteries that had humor, and fun light-hearted humorous books. It was my escape, as the internet is now.

Then I developed a cataract which made reading difficult. Got it fixed 6-7 years ago, but was busy building my business, and had a TV in the bedroom so stopped reading at night. Meanwhile another cataract was forming, and it progressed to the point of blinding me totally in left eye...but meanwhile I had a stroke that still causes chaos (best word to describe it) in my thinking, has affected my concentration, etc. Less than a year ago I had surgery to remove my cataract, and was looking forward to reading again. In fact I have a few books that I've wanted to read and have started them but couldn't keep up with them even though they were all light reading. So I gave up.

Then this spring I got my DroidX. And have both the Kindle and Nook apps on it. And found lots of free books. And downloaded a few.

A few days ago I started one of them. In fact, I went to bed early just so I could. And at 3:07 in the morning, I finished it. I loved reading it! It is the first book that I've read all the way through in YEARS, and I really really loved it! (If you're curious, it was Making Waves by Lorna Seilstad.)

Most of my reading has been done on the computer (a habit I formed when I needed to be able to adjust the font size to HUGE!), mostly the Bible but also online articles...no fiction though, no light reading breaks of easy mindless drivel that I used to enjoy. Is that why it was so much easier to read it on my Droid? I know for a fact that holding the Droid is easier when laying in bed than even the lightest paperback...

The problem? Not being able to put it down. I can't read into the morning hours every night, for sure. I'm now reading the Bible on my Droid at night, which isn't light reading, but involves looking things up and praying, so it isn't strictly reading as in a novel.

So I'm excited to be able to read again. Just have to work out the sleep thing. I could read while I'm working (answering calls and scheduling appointments for The Bug Man 9-5, M-F, April-Oct.) I suppose, since I can't really get involved in projects with the frequent interruptions - I do simpler things around the house during work hours but do spend a lot of time, when the phone is busy, sitting at the computer. I might as well be reading.

Anyway, I'm really happy that I read a book, just for fun. And, whenever it might be, I'm looking forward to reading another one!

4 comments:

  1. My nook makes it a ton easier to read in bed! Especially sandwiched between the boys ;) You mentioned you used to enjoy reading romances. I recently found a Christian romance author named Gail Gaymer Martin and have been enjoying several of her books. I paid under $5 for the ones I have. Not sure if it works for Kindle but on my nook I can put 0.00 in the search box and it will find the free stuff :) Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the Nook app also but haven't used it yet...but I will remember that search tip for sure, thanks! I've so far been getting my book recommendations from the Vessel Project, she puts out a list of free Christian books every week. (I think I only have Christian romance books on my Droid, I don't know what I might find in "worldly" romances!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, looking up that site now! And I'm with you... I avoid non-Christian romances too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU!!! Just found a bunch of interesting FREE books on The Vessel Project! I was able to download them through my nook app on my phone, then I can sync to my nook next time I want to stay up half the night reading ;) I prefer to read on my nook itself but that's a personal preference...

    ReplyDelete