Tuesday, April 27, 2010

#Netbook : 5 Days Later ( #acer #aspire)

In short, I couldn't be more pleased with this little machine! I'm used to the keyboard, although it took me a few days to be able to hit the backspace key without looking down, but this thing is quick, I can see very clearly even with my bad eyesight (I can't read newspapers or regular print books but I can see this, even with normal font sizes!), and it's tough, running all day every day. I haven't even used my desktop since I've had the netbook although I will have to start doing so shortly since most of my files are still on it.

I haven't upgraded the RAM to 2GB, still running on the 1GB that came with it, and still no problems even though I'm running, during business hours: Rising Sun a/v, Glary Utilities, Skype (using the video at times), Open Office, Windows Live Mail, notepad, and the Flock browser with several open tabs. In addition I often run Irfanview and Windows Media Player, sometimes at the same time. No loss of performance or speed at all.

I continue to get at least 9 hours on a full charge, even running the apps listed above.

The sound through the headset (just a <$20 cheapie) is phenomenal. I still haven't listened to music with my good headset but I know I will be blown away.

And, of course, it goes with me nearly wherever I go. I use a USB internet getter-onner-thingy that I have through my cell phone company, and it takes to that like a duck to water. No problems running the 'net and all of those apps - including the one for the USB internet getter-onner-thingy app - or loss of speed or crashing or anything else.

And I'm learning that there are workarounds for many of the features that Windows 7 Starter Edition lacks, so I may not even upgrade that...although I probably will just because :).

Lastly this wee little camera and mic do a great job for video conference OR for recording video! I might have to start a video blog, even!

When I discover a problem, or something that I don't like about this computer, I will be sure to post another blog entry about it. But don't hold your breath!

No comments:

Post a Comment