Sunday, February 1, 2009

In Minneapolis

I wrote a big long thing yesterday about our trip: why I'm here, what we've seen and done, etc...then I accidentally hit my refresh button in a moment of sheer stupidity, and lost it all. I will try again...

My sister was coming to Minneapolis because of family business. She was going to drive all this way alone, then deal with all her "stuff" alone - some very emotional "stuff" even - and then drive all the way home alone. I couldn't imagine that so I offered to come with her if I could gather up the funds. She told me that she was already paying for the gas and the room, so I just had to pay for my own food and that'd be it. That made it affordable for me to come along and keep her company in the car (I can't drive, don't have a license anymore due to my eyesight - or lack thereof) and also keep the homefires burning back at the hotel, listen/offer feedback as needed, etc.

(For those who may not know, Gwen has literally saved my life twice in the last 2 years, intervening and advocating for me with a medical profession that wasn't interested enough, setting aside her own and her family's needs for the duration each time, and at great cost to them. We are there for each other, it isn't a one-way street, and there haven't been many opportunities for me to be there for her as she's been for me.)

Anyway, we left Michigan last Wednesday and had a blast driving across the U.P., it was so beautiful! Took lots of pictures across US 2. Stopped in Escanaba for gas and $1 cheeseburgers at McD's, and continued on to Wausau, WI where we spent the night at a forgettable hotel.

Thursday morning (that would have been Jan.29th) we completed our journey across Wisconsin and the Mississippi River, arriving at the hotel that was to be our home for the next 5 nights right at check-in time. (I gotta say, this place is great, very nice, helpful, clean; Gwen could not have chosen a better place. The only problem is that she came here in large part because of the hot tub, and was SO looking forward to it, but when we got here she discovered that it is "closed until further notice" and was bitterly disappointed.)

So far things have been going well for me. She's been busy with her family things, and I have been minimally involved, but have had the opportunity to do the website updates that needed to be done by today (Feb.1st), and will be updating another site that I do as well. I brought along my precious keyboard because, frankly, I couldn't imagine being without it for a week, and have had some special worship time in music as well.

So we'll leave here Tuesday morning, and take 2 days going home so that we can stop and smell the roses (snow-covered though they are) along the way. I am homesick for my husband who is carrying the burden of all of the critters (4 dogs, 11 parrots, and a cat) in addition to my business and his full-time job. I appreciate that he's doing this more than words can say...I also miss our pets, and my recliner and home...but I'm thankful to have had this opportunity to be with my sister and be whatever help I can be. She's told me she's glad I'm here and she doesn't know how she would have done it without me. That's why I'm here.

No comments:

Post a Comment