Monday, June 14, 2010

Videos at #Church

The last few weeks our pastor has been showing us George Otis, Jr's Transformations video, one "town" at a time for 4 weeks.

Watching this with my brothers and sisters in Christ, I have been in awe at the mighty work of God's hand in these towns. I am sure that our pastor didn't choose this video lightly, and that he did his own "homework" before showing them.

So after being inspired by the stories in these videos, this morning I set about to do some research into the stories of these towns and, hopefully, others like them. It was rather disconcerting, therefore when the first google "hit" I got was an opinion piece (which I realize by definition is, er, opinion and not fact). I read it through and, while I recognized a few valid points, I don't believe that any producer of inspirational videos can include every detail of a town's transformation the took place over a period of years, into the space of 10 minutes. That every detail wasn't included certainly isn't a reason to dismiss the accuracy of the films, at least in my mind.

The author does bring up an issue that isn't necessarily only specific to this film but that has been a concern of mine for years: that we control God. All we have to do is follow this magic formula, and Abracadabra! We have the result. Like mixing vinegar and baking soda, we're guaranteed a foaming response. There is a difference between answered prayer and God turning over His sovereignty to us, to get the desired result by following certain steps. I believe we must guard continually against this mindset, no matter what. However, I didn't necessarily see evidence of this in the video. I saw people praying for their towns, praying for their families, friends, and neighbors, and God responding in His mercy. I saw Christians using God's power to overcome evil, and the results affected their towns in amazing ways. I don't believe there is anything unbiblical about that. (Think Ephesus, Phillipi, Colossae, Galatia, etc.)

Another of the criticisms put forth by Ms. Barczynska refers to the manner in which the redeemed praised God. I'm not sure if it is the sticks or the festival atmosphere that has put her off exactly. But I know when I praise God, dancing, waving my hands (in some cultures I can imagine extending my arms by the use of sticks), and celebrating with fellow believers who share a joy that is too great for quieter expression doesn't seem at all unreasonable to me. When one sees their own town going from sin and despair to faith and hope as the result of God's mighty working in their midst, I would frankly be shocked if there wasn't dancing in the streets!

There are quite a few other little details that Ms. Barczynska picks at, such as her reasons for the size of the vegetables in Almolonga, that they only mentioned the effects on Mama Jane who was only one of many witches in Kiambu, etc. Again, it would be impossible to mention the fates of hundreds of witches in a 10-minute segment or to give a discourse on cultural history and interpretations or agricultural anomalies.

It is a long opinion piece, and I don't have the time or, frankly, the interest to discuss each of her many points - especially since most of them read like they were written by someone to explain away the powerful works of God and our responsibility as Christians to do the work to further His kingdom. Frankly, it read like a bunch of excuses to me.

This doesn't mean that she doesn't bring up some valid general concerns of which we need to be mindful, such as the sovereignty of God (as I mentioned earlier), His desire to answer our prayers when we pray within - and for - His will (James 5:16), the fruits of professing Christians (Mt.7:16), the name of Jesus above all names, and the fact that we, as soldiers of the cross (2Tim.2:3), are engaged in powerful spiritual battles (Eph.6:12). (And these references barely scratch the surface of our responsibilities, God's power, and the spiritual battles that every Christian must face on earth - or the Biblical references to them!)

Given all of this, I believe that this video is an amazing display of God's unleashing His power to accomplish His purposes "on earth as it is in heaven" and how the prayers of righteous men availeth much! It can also open the eyes of each of us as Christians as to how God can use us to proclaim the name of Christ throughout the nations (Mt.28:19) to bring down strongholds (2.Cor.10:4-5) remembering that the Spirit of Christ, Who indwells every believer, is greater than the one who is in the world (1Jn.4:4).

No comments:

Post a Comment