Monday, November 15, 2010

Managing My #Parrots, Managing my Life

I am a home-loving woman. I love my cozy spaces, surrounded by the people and pets and things that make me happy and add something to my life. When my home is in a state of flux, my world just doesn't seem right.



Right now things are in flux. It is the time of year when my parrots move from their summer spot at the north-facing end of our living room to their winter spot at the south-facing end, where there are huge windows that bring in every bit of sunlight that God provides. (This also involves rearranging everything in our living space, during which time I also do a thorough cleaning.)  And typically I do this at about the same time as we put up our storm windows.



This year, however, due to health issues (both my husband's and my own) it has been several weeks since we put the storm windows up, and the parrots still haven't been moved. In addition, one of my 2 beloved cockatiels died this fall. These teenaged pointy-heads have been together their whole lives, sharing a large flight cage since I acquired them about 8 years ago. Now the remaining bird is using only a tiny area of the cage, and is much less active than when he had his buddy around. I think he needs a bit of a shaking up, and one of the ways I plan to do that is to move him to a different cage, one that is more fitting to a single bird. Meanwhile I have 2 lovebirds - a brother and a sister - who aren't tame, are also in their teen years, but have been living in 2 smaller cages for several years. They love to be together, don't get out for regular flight time like the others do (I have to net them to get them back in, and I hate doing that!), so they will take over the large flight cage.



My parrots have had the same cages for quite a few years, and I know that they don't like change. But I am hoping that a different cage for the cockatiel, with stimulating toys and activities just for him, will bring him out of his lethargy. He still has his friend the greencheek conure with which to share out-of-cage flight time, and they will be next to each other instead of stacked as they are now. I am hoping that these changes will help him to recover from his loss. And I know that the lovebirds will get more exercise in the flight cage, they will love being together (they stay as close as they can with bars between them right now, and love their rare times out together); I plan to divide toys and sleeping spots and feeding areas into 2 separate areas, so they can either claim their own territories or can share and fly back and forth between the 2.



I plan to do this within the next few days so that all of them can adapt to their changes in their current places in the living room. Once all is well, I can do the room rearranging that will need to be done so that they can enjoy our northern Michigan winter sunshine.



And once all is done, all 9 of my parrots and I can enjoy our cozy home again and not deal with another state of flux until spring!

1 comment:

  1. I kinda feel like you right now. We're in the process of toy reorganization and don't have everything we need yet to make it happen. So things are in limbo. We'll all be much happier once they're done! That's great that you're able to do something like that for your church! I know others who for one reason or another give services to their church rather than money and I've seen how God honors the effort and their willing hearts :-)

    ReplyDelete