Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Computers...Part II

First of all, Pete has his laptop back - YAY!

Second, I'm full-time on the desktop now. And I can see where, for the last few years, I've lost some things on the laptop. For example, the colors are brighter and the graphics are sharper. And, of course, the sound is much better even though I'm using dinky little speakers. Still, it is a more satisfying experience when it comes to graphics and music.

Third, I'm excited that Pete has resolved my "hunching over the end table" issue! When we lived in Lansing (MI) and used our dining room as an office, I had my desktop set up on a 5' conference table. Good height, plenty of space for my printer, speakers, and whatever else I needed. But I had forgotten all about those tables. He remembered, and when Casey is here to help we will move my desktop back onto a conference table. The birds will like is also, as I'll be able to set up a play area right next to me again...although they really spend more time ON me, actually... And I'll be able to sit in a more comfortable chair rather than this stool!

So that's all good.

Fourth, I ended up deleting Thunderbird. It was definitely promising, but I couldn't figure out how to get my passwords for all of my owly.net email accounts entered, and after spending half the night trying to find the answer in their docs and elsewhere online, I gave up. So I'm back to using OE again. It has its problems and I still hate it, but at least it's familiar. I used to use Eudora, 15+ years ago...maybe I'll try that again...

It's been 3½ years since I got a laptop and stopped using a desktop on a regular basis, and already I'm finding that there are a lot of good things about it! I may just get a netbook when the time is right, and stick with this one for home use.

(BTW, this is an eMachine that I bought 2nd-hand from one of Casey's friends; apparently she'd used it for her homeschooling mostly. The model is T3985 if you're interested, but it has lots of USB ports which are a blessing, and I love that I can plug in my headphones/mic/whatever into the front of the CPU! Very nice for my purposes! Plus, since I don't move it around, I can keep my WD external HD plugged in for easy backups and file storage/access!)

So all is well, there's a happy ending, and I'm really feeling blessed!


Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments:

Post a Comment