Monday, November 16, 2009

Computers! Can't live with 'em...

We are admittedly rather geeky in our family. Personally, I have - or did have - the laptop that has been my Main Machine for 3½ years (Pete & I have had identical ones), plus the desktop that I use mainly with my Yamaha PSR-9000Pro keyboard, and of course "N8" (Nate), my Nokia N810 Internet Tablet and constant companion.

So when the display on my laptop failed a couple of weeks ago, I wasn't overly worried since I still had 2 other computers. Still, after Pete messed around with the laptop and announced that it was fixed, I was elated! Most of my online time was spent, after all, during my down times in my recliner: while having my morning coffee/tea, while waiting for pain pills to take effect or during lunch or whatever during the day, or in the evenings.

My joy was short-lived, however, when Pete told me a few days later that he hadn't been able to fix my laptop, so he had simply replaced his own hard drive with mine in his machine! It didn't seem right to me that I still had my desktop or N8 to use but he only had his own N810. So I spent Saturday copying all of my files to my WD external HD that I use for backups, and exporting my browser and email files. By Sunday afternoon I had everything onto the WD and could start copying essential files onto my desktop. Music and videos and photos I could leave, since the WD stays plugged into to desktop all the time, used as a secondary drive for file storage anyway...

By late Sunday/early today I was done and almost ready to let Pete take his laptop back and put own HD back into it. All of my browser files and settings were nicely imported, and ditto for my Outlook Express settings and email folders...EXCEPT for the Inbox and Sent Items folders. For some reason these 2 kept showing up empty!

To make a long story short here, I'll just say that I downloaded, installed, tried, and uninstalled more OE utilities than you can imagine, and consulted numerous techie websites. Google got a real workout! I imported and copied over these 2 files a dozen times at least, deleting the folders.dbx file each time before restarting OE, and nothing! All of my other folders were fine, so it made no sense to me...and it still doesn't.

But finally, after 7 hours hunched over the keyboard (since it isn't used very much, the desktop is on a low end table), I got those last 2 files into OE by copying them from my HD in Pete's laptop onto a memory stick, moving the stick to the desktop, deleting the originally-copied-from-the-WD-drive files from the identity folder where the OE stores are kept plus the folders.dbx file of course, and starting OE again. And it worked! I can't imagine why 76 folders imported properly and 2 didn't, or why the same identical files worked from the stick but not from the WD drive...but it did and I guess that's all that matters.

I've had a love-hate relationship with OE for a decade or more. So the last thing I did was install the Mozilla Thunderbird email client (I use the Flock browser, based upon the Mozilla Firefox browser) and import my mailboxes and address book into that. My OE days are done.

So now I'll be using N8 (as I am right now), or hunched over my desktop toget online...but I'm thankful I have thm, and that Pete can now have his own computer back to get online again! Come to think of it, it does seem a little obscenely greedy to have 3 computers...

:)

2 comments:

  1. OE was replaced by Windows Mail in Vista but you'd hardly spot the difference. Glad you got everything working again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of things went into deciding to just swap the laptops. One was keeping in touch with others is more important to you than to me. I would hardly be missed...you on the other hand would be greatly missed. Another thought was..you had been suffering through this flu for over 12 days...you need good news...not bad news. Also, since I had come down with the flu I had no desire to spend any more time messing with computers and it was simpler to swap your stickers and harddrive than it was for me to fight the flu and computers too. Biggest thing I guess is I always want to make you happy. Besides I had N8than so it wasn't like I was totally without the internet at my fingertips.

    I know the laptop is and was easier to sit in the recliner to use than sitting hunkered over the eMachine...which was internet-less except for the Alltel USB internet card with its slow speed and limited use.

    I still did not want to tell you and I was about in tears as it was with the frustrations of work and injury when I did break the bad news to you. Thank you for getting the laptop back to me as quickly as you did. I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete