Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Big Nell and Night #2 (update)

Yesterday I used Nellie to do my job. Last night after wiping Big Nell clean and starting over with a fresh install of Window 7 Pro (via the Acer app to restore to factory settings) I tried once again to install Ubuntu 10.04, the stable, LTS version. I really liked Mint but if freezing up is a known issue, then I can't have it, not when I need a reliable o/s for my job every day...

But I had the same issue with it not finding my wireless router, or accepting the information when it was added manually. And I had other things to do at midnight - like sleep! (I did have a 90-minute nap after work) - so I uninstalled Ubuntu 10.04 and reinstalled Mint 12. All was well, everything was working, then I did the updates, and it had the same issue as Ubuntu: wouldn't get online, couldn't find router, wouldn't accept it when added manually. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

So once again, I uninstalled it and reinstalled - this time without the updates. And all is well. I installed Evolution & restored my 753MB of emails from the tar.gz file, installed Skype, added my saved profile onto Firefox that I'd backed up with FEBE, put my schedules and other docs that I use for my job back on, and I'm all set to work today. I will do some research and find out why Mint has a freezing issue, so I can see how to prevent or even if I can. And I will get information about the whole router issue so that I can hopefully install the updates. But none of this until the weekend, when I won't be so pressed for time in case something goes awry :).

I'm not adding my photos or documents or anything else back onto Big Nell yet, they are all accessible from my external HD anyway - not until I have a stable o/s installed, whether it's Mint 12 or Ubuntu 10.04 (I hated 11.*). I even tinkered with the idea of trying Jollicloud last night, but after the 36 hours I'd had with this machine, that would have simply been foolhardy to add yet another variable.

So we'll see what happens now.

No comments:

Post a Comment