Thursday, April 22, 2010

Netbook: Initial Observations

First: This thing ROCKS!

It is every bit as wonderful as advertised, and then some. Those who said that a 10.1" screen isn't even an issue have been right. With this fantastic bright screen, even with my poor vision I have no trouble reading text or photos. And the sound through the headphones? WOW!! I can hardly believe it, it's like being in a concert hall with the sound swirling around and right through my head - the best headphone sound I've ever heard, I'm pretty sure...

But mostly I want to talk about battery life. 9 hours is what was advertised. It is now after 3 a.m. and I unplugged at 6:00. It's about to die (I will full charge/discharge 3 times as recommended by the mfr) but during that time I've been running Skype continually, and also using (not just running) my browser with several windows open, YouTube, a fairly intensive gaming program, and a spreadsheet program. I spent a few hours deleting bloatware that came on the computer and installing my own programs (Open Office, Irfanview, WinAmp, etc.). I've had the wireless on the whole time, as well as a USB cellular internet getter-onner while we were out and about. In addition I've had the bluetooth running as I experimented with connecting to various devices for part of that time.

[everything goes black]

And here I am, back, after the system shut down after 9 hours and 10 minutes - but first it saved my work! Amazing...when I plugged it in and turned it back on, it came right to where I left off, with the same apps running and right down to where I was typing here!

This machine just blows me away - what a PHENOMENAL computer this is, in every way!

I will post more as I continue to become acquainted with this netbook, but so far I am beyond thrilled!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so pleased that you bought what you wanted :) Showed the info to Ted as he is looking for a netbook but it's not available in Canada and Amazon.com won't ship it here. Phooey!

    ReplyDelete